When it comes to office fit-outs, the installation process is only the first step. Your new fit-out will require ongoing maintenance to keep it in top condition, looking fresh, and supporting your business’s brand. After all, making a good first impression when people walk into your premises is essential!
Creating a customised template for scheduled maintenance allows you to stay on top of things so that sudden, unexpected or serious problems can be avoided. A maintenance plan should not be ‘one-size-fits-all’ but tailored to individual needs.
Deciding what to do, and when
The first step is to list the tasks that have to be done and the appropriate timeframe.
Here’s a sample timeframe for a maintenance and minor works program that can be adjusted to suit most businesses.
- Servicing of HVAC / air conditioners
- Testing of smoke detectors and fire alarms
- Testing and maintenance of fire equipment
- Plumbing repairs
- Carpentry repairs
- Checking and maintaining self-closing doors
- Electrical work – e.g. equipment testing and tagging and servicing
- Communications systems checks and servicing
- Doors and operable walls inspections and repairs
- Steam cleaning of carpets
- Pest control check and upgrade
- Workstation checks – repairs and upgrades
- Complete office requirements audit
- Internal painting – every five years or as required
- Carpet replacement – every ten years.
Creating a template
A preventative maintenance schedule template that sets out the tasks can enable you to keep track of requirements and works done.
There are no strict rules about creating a template. However, as an example it could consist of four columns:
- Frequency (e.g. monthly, quarterly etc)
- Date Completed
It’s important that work done is signed off and that any unusual details about the job are noted down on the form.
A professional high-quality fit-out company will factor in maintenance needs at the design and installation stage, to ensure that your fit-out remains in peak condition. This is something you should take into consideration when seeking out a company to undertake your fit-out.