A preventative maintenance program is essential for any office fit-out, to keep it looking good and functioning as intended.
The program needs to formalise a schedule of regular tasks that help ensure your workspace continues to perform well in terms of safety, comfort, productivity and aesthetics.
We take a look at the specific benefits of preventative maintenance, and what sort of tasks should be on the list.
What a preventative maintenance program can achieve
Taking care of your fit-out with regular maintenance can:
- Help prevent ‘reactive maintenance’ – that is, unplanned repairs needed at short notice.
- Save money in the long-term, by reducing the risk of major repairs or replacement due to neglect.
- Reduce equipment downtime.
- Extend the working life of assets.
- Improve health and safety within the premises.
- Keep the office looking fresh and new.
A well-maintained office fit-out (as opposed to a neglected one) is also good for morale – which is likely to improve productivity. It also reflects well on the business’s reputation, making it more likely to attract custom.
What a preventative maintenance program entails
Every business is different, so there is no single set of rules for a maintenance schedule. Depending on your premises, it may include:
- Equipment and machinery evaluation and upkeep.
- Health and safety audits.
- Checking and maintenance of security systems, fire equipment, HVAC systems, lighting, and communications technology.
- Carpentry, cabinetry and plumbing repairs.
- Carpet steam-cleaning.
- Landscaping and indoor greenery maintenance.
Regular tasks should be carried out on an appropriate schedule, for example, weekly tending of indoor greenery and monthly checking of security systems.
A good preventative maintenance program is something all quality fit-out companies will offer their clients. They will take the time to listen and to understand your needs and goals in a maintenance program, and help you create one that covers all the bases. Processes make complex simple and experience provides certainty.
If you’d like assistance in making sure your office fit-out is maintained to a standard that will continue to serve your business well for years to come, contact our expert team.